Solution Finder Get Tech Support

Difference between LinkSwitch-HP and InnoSwitch

Posted by: kochdie on

What are the main differences between LinkSwitch-HP and InnoSwitch ?

They both use FluxLink to remove the optocoupler. What I undesrtand is that LinkSwitch implements a PWM regulation where the duty cycle can be varied continuously, while in InnoSwitch it is done in a different way. These devices send PWM bursts by skipping cycles rather then modulating the duty cycle of a continuous PWM wave. I am not sure whether I understood it corrently.

What are the main differences in terms of performance ? For example, I would expect that the output voltage ripple is higher for InnoSwitch devices if the output capacitor stays the same. What about the transient response of the two ? What are the main advantages and disadvantages of the PWM skip mode used in the InnoSwitch compared to variable duty PWM mode ?

It would be nice if you could give some advices to people having to make a choice between the flyback products. Perhaps a product family is more targeted a certain performance class and cost.

Thanks

Comments

Submitted by PI-ODO on 04/26/2017

Hi kochdie,

Both the LinkSwitch-HP and InnoSwitch families support isolated flyback topologies.  The main difference is that the LinkSwitch-HP uses primary-side regulation to eliminate the opto, whereas the InnoSwitch has the integrated FluxLink to eliminate the opto while still using secondary-side regulation with an SR FET.

As such, the InnoSwitch delivers tighter regulation and better transient response at higher efficiency.  The LinkSwitch-HP, however, may provide a simpler overall implementation for your power supply, depending on the requirements. 

The PI Expert Online tool may be helpful when trying to assess which family is best for your particular requirement.

-PI-ODO