Solution Finder Get Tech Support

clamp overheat

Posted by: zaidisk on

I designed a source of 6V 12A output, everything works well only for 30 seconds with a maximum current of 6A and the output is off, and the part of RCD clamp is overheating, if the load is higher the output off immediately, not which way to go, thank you very much for your help

Output capacitors are 6.3V 820uf, 7.5Amp ripple

thank you very much

Files

Attachment Size
final.uds 958.5 KB

Comments

Submitted by PI-Neela on 03/28/2016

i can not open your attached file. COuld you share your design schematic and PIXL? so we know what device you are using.

Submitted by PI-Neela on 03/30/2016

from the paper design there are a few comments:

1. you core is small for your output power.

2. your Np and NS is too few to be a good design

3. for your 12A output, you secondary layout have to be very tight to have managble leakage to avoid additional reflected leakage to primary side which results in hot pri clamp temperature

Submitted by zaidisk on 04/02/2016

R.1/: in the moment to optimeze my proyect this core is recomended for the software, in auto pick this select this and show 74W

R.2/: yes i think so, but the software with diferent core, give me  the same result 

R:3:/ i made the transformer, how indecate the instruccions, and other observation, the power supply off, if the load is It is greater than 6A

thank you very much

Submitted by PI-Neela on 04/04/2016

You can choose to use a larger core for your design.

The PIXL tool has updated version on the web site youc an downloaded.

To debug, you can measure the pri current and see if there is indication about why it is shut down at half of the load. Maybe your transformer is saturated.

hi, how are you Neela

the, current in pri, it is lower at 300mA, the transformer is always cold, only overheat the clamp circuit.

regarts

Manuel

Submitted by PI-Neela on 04/05/2016

your leakage inductance of the transformer may be good. I sugget you to design a transformer with largger core and see if problom has any differences. Also you can share with us your primary current waveform.