Solution Finder Get Tech Support

Power supply 2(two) TOP-250YN in sync. mode?

Posted by: Alex0120012 on

Hi !

I'm build power supply for 12-14.4V/1-16A output.
input: 220V 50Hz.

transformer I use:
http://www.premiermag.com/pdf/pol-15073.pdf

I think the use of two TOP-250Y chip in synchronous (external oscillator) mode.

in datasheet :
http://www.powerint.com/sites/default/files/product-docs/top242.250.pdf

there are no examples in the description of solutions for parallel synchronous operation of two chips from the same source signals.  :((

I want to make the power supply consists of two parallel units operating simultaneously: two chips and two transformers. I need it to get a wide range of output currents of regulation - from 1A to 17A.

Please help.

Comments

Submitted by PI - Traveler on 02/15/2013

Don't go this route.  Use something like TOP262. 

-The Traveler

Submitted by Alex0120012 on 02/17/2013

I did not ask you for advice what to do, I asked for advice how to solve my particular problem of synchronization.

Submitted by PI - Traveler on 02/20/2013

The external oscillator functionality of the Line Sense pin was not intended to run two seperate TopSwitch devices in parallel.  There are numerous issues with why you would not want to do this.  My advice is to use a part designed for the application in which you intend to use it. 

-The Traveler

Judging by your response, you do not know how it works in sync TOP250.
I want to hear advice (response) from the developers of chips - what is described in the datasheet mode external clock, if not mentioned anything about how to apply it?

Submitted by PI - Traveler on 03/05/2013

Alex -

I do know and understand how the external clock synchronization feature works and I'm prepared to give you additional information on it.

First, I need to mention that I find some of your comments to be rude and offensive.  It's possible that it could be a cultural difference and/or language barrier issue but I do want to let you know that some of your comments are offensive and slightly aggressive.  Perhaps we can restart this dialogue in a more professional manner as two engineers discussing a common topic of interest?

Regarding the external clock synchronization feature, there are many many intricacies and nuances involved.  My response to your request for information and reccomendaiton on how to proceed requires additional information from you.

Why the need for external clock synchronization?  

What are you trying to accomplish?  

Are you running into a mechanical package size constraints? 

Are you trying to mitigate some kind of EMI issue? 

Do you just need more output power than from a single device?

Are you trying to minimize output current/voltage ripple?

Do you need to run them 180degrees out of phase?

How do you plan to implment the control loop and do you have specific needs in this area?

Are you trying to implement a setup where one IC is master and the other slave? If so, is the slave intended to run only part of the time?

How are you planning/wanting to generate the clock signal and do you plan on implementing a dithering feature? 

Regards, 

-The Traveler

Submitted by Alex0120012 on 03/05/2013

Dear PI - Traveler

I am a Russian engineer, and I'm used to directly and accurately express their thoughts. If someone finds my direct way of insult, it is not my problem.
I came to this forum with a specific question: I want to create a managed power supply in which I want to use what is described "as a valid mode of using the" TOP250 synchronously.

It is my desire is dictated by the rigid framework: the presence of the limited space, the lack of assured supply of the required parts, etc. This is not your problem but mine, and I want to solve them using the Parallel inclusion TOP250.

I do not need advice as I live.
I do not need advice, "throw it all and buy this ..." etc. :)

I need professional advice: how to build a scheme to use synchronous possible?

I repeat: I have already created on the basis of "TOP250" and transformer "POL-15073" processor controlled Atmel8 impulse charger 7-18B, powered by special algorithms.
I managed to get an electric current of 1-8Amper.
Now I have a hard task in a small volume to obtain a current of 1-16Amper.

My experiences with the two devices have shown that it is very difficult to achieve a uniform distribution of current on the two devices.
So I turned to the technical description, and decided to use the TOP250 in synchronous mode, which will allow me (I think) to get the exact timing and distribution of the currents in the circuit.

I answered your questions?

Submitted by PI - Traveler on 03/07/2013

Figure 10 of the TOP250 datasheet includes the timing diagram showing how to implement the synchronization feature.  Page 9 of the TOP250 datasheet explains the procedure.

Additionally, our product DPASwitch included a synchronization feature which is similar to the TOP250 synchronization.  Figures 6 and 24 of the DPASwitch datasheet as well as pages 7 and 8 should prove helpful.

Basically, you'll need an external oscillator circuit to generate a clock signal and then using the synchronization feature of the L, X or M pin (depending on the package) which is essentially just a specific timing requirement of the remote on/off feature.  You'll need to tie the outputs of the transformers together (after the rectifier) and there are a variety of ways to implement the feedback and control loop.

-The Traveler

Submitted by Iweriza on 07/05/2017

Good day, everybody!
I just need more output power than from a single device. Please, advice me suitable circuit design.
Thanks

Submitted by PI-KSAN on 07/17/2017

Hi ,
Thanks for the post. How much power output your looking for ? Please get back me with your power levels so that we can recommend you with suitable circuit design.

Regards,
PI-KSAN

Submitted by Iweriza on 07/20/2017

Hi , PI-KSAN!
Input voltage 85-265 VAC, output power 330 W.
Thanks.

Submitted by PI-KSAN on 07/31/2017

For the Power output of 330W , we need to have an PFC front end and HV DC-DC Converter ( Either our HiperLCS or HiperTFS2) , please refer to one of our DER which is of 300W :
https://ac-dc.power.com/sites/default/files/PDFFiles/der484.pdf

Use this as reference design and use of PIXL's online web tool where you can design HiperTFS2 Transformer design according to your spec's.

Regards,
PI-KSAN

Submitted by Iweriza on 08/01/2017

Thank you so much.