Solution Finder Get Tech Support

An higher output current using design DER-507

Posted by: dancom on

Hello

We want to use your products for a non-isolated 5 VDC supply.
And the design example DER-507 seems to be a good solution.

Only it's limited to maximum 35 mA and we need more, at least 50 mA. The limitation is just given because it use the LNK3202D?
If for example we put the LNK3204D will be have at least the double?
It will work also with the same other components or they need other values?

Thank you for reply

Best regards

Dan

Comments

Submitted by PI-Kobe on 10/02/2019

Hi,

According to the LinkSwitch-TN2 datasheet, you can still design up to 63mA output current with MDCM operation for universal range input designs using LNK3202D. However, you should consider sizing up some power section components (i.e. inductor, diode, etc) to meet desired efficiency and power requirements. You may use PI Expert to re-design with the DER-507 as a basis.

Regards,

Submitted by dancom on 10/02/2019

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.
Yes I imagined that it's possible to size the circuit, unfortunately I'm not an expert of this design and in the DER-507 there isn't a part where the calculation are explained.
Then in the PI Expert, both online and offline, the LinkSwitch-TN2 models aren't available for design..

So I still need some help or we cannot select this circuitry and components.

Regards

Dan

Submitted by PI-Kobe on 10/03/2019

Hi,

I believe you can select the LinkSwitch-TN2 buck converter using PI Expert. I tried making a sample spreadsheet based on what you said previously and attached it here. If you would be able to access and design using the PI Expert, it would give you more flexibility. You may edit some fields and gain information about sizing the diode/inductor and other components to optimize your prototype. Good luck!

Regards,

Attachment Size
LinkSwitch-TN2_Buck_Design2_1.pdf 474.48 KB
Submitted by dancom on 10/03/2019

Hi,

I'm little confused, maybe I have the wrong versions or not the proper right to use the programs.
If you see in the screenshots attached with the PI Expert I cannot select any of the LinkSwitch-TN2 or a buck design.
Maybe you mean the PI XIs, which seems you used to generate the list.
I also used it and played a little with the variables like the current, and so also the LNKx model. The only problem is that not all the components of the DER-507 Buck design are showed (D1, D3, C5, R5) and for this I will try to keep the same values.

Anyway thank you for taking the time to help me

Regards

Dan

Submitted by PI-Kobe on 10/04/2019

Hi,

Are you using piexpertonline.power.com?

Regards,

Submitted by dancom on 10/04/2019

hi,
yes, and also installed the PI Expert Suite 10.1 on the Computer.

Regards

Dan

Attachment Size
PI_Expert_10.1_screenshot.jpg 99.08 KB